The responded to a call at the around 8:20 a.m.
When firefighters arrived, the fire had been contained by the sprinklers in the ground-floor apartment.
A firefighter entering the building said there appeared to be minimal damage in the apartment where the fire had originated, but the water damage had spread to the surrounding apartments.
A middle-aged man was transported to Grady Memorial Hospital with minor burns to his nose, mouth, left leg and forearm after he attempted to put out the fire in his kitchen, but the grease splashed on him, said Fire Chief Dave Soumas.
Most residents were able to return to their apartments within the hour.